In Class Learning
Preferred Reading – This is when audiences respond to the product the way media producers (author/ director/ artist/ anchor/ etc) want/expect them to.
Negotiated Reading – This is when a member of the audience partly agrees with part of the product, but disagrees with another part.
Oppositional Reading – This is when the audience are in complete disagreement with the product’s message or setting.
For any reading:
1) Articulate the producer's opinion (the theme). /2
2) Explain how you inferred that this is their theme. /3
3) Explain if your reading was oppositional, negotiated, or preferred (/1) and explain with two specific references to the text and two specific references to your life or previous knowledge why you read it this way. /4
Major Questions to ask when analyzing editorials
1. What news story is the image about? (W,W,W,W,W,H) ( /2)
2. How does it use image (colour, line, content, words) to illicit a reaction (perhaps emotional) in the viewer? (/3)
3.Describe the target audience? How do you know? OR What or who is being criticized? How do you know? (/3)
4. What is NOT being said? In other words, how is it more complicated than it appears? (/2)